Wednesday, May 22, 2013

toward forever

Ever struggled with the 'need' to fit in? Ah, man, I have! I struggled a lot with it in Junior High and High school. That struggle for me manifested into an eating disorder, very low self esteem, seeking acceptance from the wrong people in the wrong places, and a lovely path of what could have been major destruction. Thankfully, with a lot of the 'right' love from the right people, my path was drastically changed. I'm thankful to have moved past most of that at this point in my life, but every now and then my 'need' to fit in still gives me fits. And can I just tell you that while adopting and being passionate about it, you don't really have the 'fit in' quality. My priorities have changed. My life goals have changed. What I choose to do on weekends have changed. It doesn't give me an opportunity to 'fit in' to what the world seems appropriate. I've been told I'm not 'normal'. I've been told I'm over the top. I've lost clients, friends, acceptance. And it hurts. And it's freeing. My life here is quite short. Time is not guaranteed. So if my conviction calls me to be 'not normal' right now, to stand up and stand out, so be it. Thankfully, the pain of hurt feelings are temporary. I'm working toward forever.

4 comments:

  1. I love you Bridgette! So proud of you for following hard after the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

    It does hurt, but it is freeing. Hang on to truth, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so know what you mean and how you feel. Soon you will have treasure! another treasure! Keep going, you are doing awesome! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. awe, mama. when people tell you that you are not "normal" or are over the top, remember we are called to be beacons in the darkness, to be over the top in love with God, to not be OF this world. we shouldn't be "normal" here. don't let anyone's opinion shake you; they are judging you off their own set of priorities. shine bright, dearest.

    ReplyDelete