Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A life time ago. {one year rewind}

A year ago today, I was jet-lagged, naive, anxious, hopeful, terrified, overwhelmed, giddy, (and I'm sure many many more emotions!) as I walked across red dirt to meet my son for the first time. We walked through the glass pane double doors, my eyes adjusting from the harsh sunlight outside to the dim lighting inside. I see a room outlined in cribs. One of those cribs is his. We look around as the mama's stare. I'm intimidated. lost. terrified. I can't find him. Will I know him? I try to visualize the last picture I was sent of him. What kind of mom won't recognize her own child? We go from crib to crib. No baby Love. We ask and are told he is at bath and feeding time. We go. I'm overwhelmed at the  sight of so many many babes. Crawling, naked, looking for someone to hold them.  The sound, indescribable. so much crying. I can't think straight. We ask for my babe. He's not there. Then I start to worry. The Mama tells us to go look in the baby class. We walk around back. My stomach is in my throat. We take our shoes off, open the door and step in. We're greeted by Teacher Jaque {who immediately terrified me! Thankfully during my next trip, I really got to know and love her very, very much!} I can't speak so Jade does for me. We're looking for Solomon. She nods toward the crib. My mind starts spinning. Slowly, I make my way over to his crib, careful not to step onto the babies crawling, rolling, and laying. All begging to be held. My mind reels. My expectations high. It's the moment I've waited for, imagined since August. I'm meeting, for the first time, the child that the Lord has delivered to us. I peek in and he's there. I know it's him. I'm thankful I know it's him. I don't get to hold him long because of class room rules. So we sit on the floor and I stare at him. I'm in awe, confused, and overwhelmed. {I know I've used overwhelmed A LOT, but really it was the feeling of the week. No other way to describe the experience of my first trip.} I look at him and know I want to soak up as much time with him as possible, knowing I will be leaving in 7 short days. Not knowing when I will be returning. And I pray. I thank God for him. I thank God for protecting him. and I thank God for delivering him into our family.



















4 comments:

  1. What a faithful God! Love you dearly! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to believe it all! So glad he is here with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this. :) Ami
    www.walkingbytheway.com

    ReplyDelete