In starting our adoption journey, Trey and I have been trying to find ways to save money. After doing a bit of online research, I decided to try my hand at homemade laundry detergent. Annnd I love it. I tried the powder kind and it was super easy. It called for only 3 ingredients and the hardest thing I had to do was grate up a bar of soap. The most awesome part is the total cost of the 3 ingredients. They only cost about $10. (You can make multiple batches out each box you buy) So, if you wish to try it along with me, here's the recipe. Enjoy.
- 1 bar Fels Naptha soap
- 1 cup of Borax
- 1 cup of Arm & Hammer washing soda (not to be confused with baking soda)
( I found these items at my mom's grocery store, Hodsons. I also found them at Meijer.)
- Grate the bar of Fels Naptha finely (it smells wonderfully fresh)
- Mix the Fels Naptha, Borax, and Arm & Hammer and poof, all done!
Use 2-3 tablespoons per load of laundry depending on how hard your water is. Fellow Swayzians, you most likely need to use about 113 tablespoons....well, maybe that was a slight exaggeration. I use 3. Here's to great smelling clothes.
Can't use powder in my machine...ugh. Tried the do-it-yourself liquid recipe and it gunked my detergent nozzle. I guess I'll just have to stick with using coupons for now! Glad it worked for you though. Great money saver and it's probably better for your skin too!
ReplyDeleteSorry, that was Beth not Chip.
ReplyDeleteI think there are recipes for HE washers..i do believe i saw some!
ReplyDeleteI will check into it!
ReplyDelete